Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

How to Recognise a Sub-Saharan African in Ireland


Spot the Sub-Saharan African

from seanie at the bar in the grand hotel tralee;

You must hand it to the Gardai. Here is a quote from d'Examiner "The stop rate for Sub-Saharan Africans in Ireland was the highest for any ethnic minority surveyed in any of the 27 EU member states".

Now I am not an ignorant man, but  I must confess my difficulty with racial recognition. I would not know a Sub-Saharan African if I saw one. Is he (she) white, black whatever? Is a Sub-Saharan a lesser species of man - compared with a Saharan or Super-Saharan?

The article also states "More than 1,000 Sub-Saharan Africans and eastern Europeans were surveyed". No mention there of non Sub-Saharan Africans.

In my view the gardi must be pretty smart if they can pick out and harass Sub-Saharan Africans. As opposed to other Africans. Or Afro-Americans. Or French Africans. Or whatever you are having yourself.

Or Travellers.

No comments: